Cleaning Refinished Surfaces in the COVID–19 Era
Cleanliness and disinfecting will take on a new meaning due to COVID-19.
Extra attention and time will be spent by HK staff to ensure clean surfaces.
The use of proper chemicals, and more importantly, cleaning methods will achieve and exceed the desired results without wasting time (repeated scrubbing or wiping of surfaces).
- Avoid excessive scrubbing when cleaning refinished tubs/ showers or nonskid surfaces.
- Use neutral pH detergents, disinfectants or combination products.
- Allow those products to sit on the surface for 10 minutes before rinsing.
Information from the CDC
- Enveloped viruses like SARS-CoV-2—which rely on a protective lipid coating—are the easiest type to deactivate.
- The good news is that a wide variety of disinfectants can disrupt lipid membranes, killing the virus they were protecting.
- Normal routine cleaning with soap and water or detergents – removes the dirt, grime or surface impurities which traps germs on surfaces – lowering the risk of spreading COVID-19 infection.
- Disinfectants will kill germs on surfaces.
- Killing germs on a surface with a disinfectant after cleaning, can further lower the risk of spreading infection.
Please contact by phone or email: email@example.com
We’ll review your msds sheets for the products that you are using
We can recommend the proper cleaning chemicals for use on refinished surfaces.
Newly Refinished Surface Care
Prior to the start of any project, we will review the cleaning products and processes used by your HK staff.
It is extremely important that the pH levels of your cleaning products fall in the range that will not cause damage to the refinished surfaces.
High alkaline cleaners (pH 9 to 14) or high acid cleaners (pH 6.5 to 1) should never be used.
These harsh chemicals may leave residue or a chalky buildup.
Or – if not rinsed away thoroughly after 10 minutes, will weaken the coating.
The combination of improper chemicals and excessive daily scrubbing will cause the coating to fail or wear away.
Never use abrasive cleaners (soft scrub, Ajax etc.) or abrasive pads/sponges (Magic eraser, Scotch Brite etc.)
When it comes to cleaning products on refinished surfaces – Stronger is not Always Better.
Recommended cleaning procedures for Refinished Surfaces:
- Step One – Clean all surfaces including wall surrounds with Neutral pH disinfectant cleaners (7 – 8.5 pH range) using wash cloths, rags, sponges, or soft bristle brush on nonskid area of tub/shower floor (if needed)
- Step Two – After nominal scrubbing, allow the cleaning/disinfecting solution & suds to sit on the surface for 10 minutes
- Step Three – Rinse all surfaces thoroughly with water and allow to air dry
On occasion, we have noticed an abrasive sponge that was brought in from home.
These pads should never be used on a refinished surface as they will dull the finish, wear away the nonskid coating and will void the warranty.